CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 02, 2006

Interview in the Sun-Sentinel on Steve's Christian life.





The Sun-Sentinel interviewed Steve on his acceptance of Christ and how it transformed his life; you can read the interview below or click this link. The interview was set to run a week earlier than it did, I think someone at the Sun-Sentinel decided to run Steve's interview on the weekend of Yom Kippur,thinking he needed to on the Day of Atonement reflect on accepting Christ.


Faith helps radio host adopt a kinder, gentler voice.


-- James D. Davis

September 30, 2006

Title: Host of The Steve Kane Show, a call-in talk show from 6 to 9 a.m. weekdays on WWNN, AM 1470. The show reruns midnight-3 a.m. and 3-6 a.m. on WWNN and WSBR, AM 740.

Other job experience: Former teacher of theater at Rollins College, Winter Park.

Attends: Calvary Chapel of Fort Lauderdale.

Education: Degree in theater arts at Rollins College, Winter Park; master's degree in film at New York University.

Personal: Age 67. Born in New York City. South Florida resident since 1983.

Family: Married to Lori, a potter and administrator at Lori K Productions, their radio production company. Children (all adopted): Alexander, 10; Tyler, 10; Jennifer, 14; Courtney, 16; Sara, 28; Adriane, 30; Rachael, 32. Three grandchildren.

Q. How come you wanted to adopt so many kids?

A. I love raising kids. I'm only stopping now because my wife has more sense than I do. And it's very tied to my faith. I once thought I was to have a national Christian-oriented radio talk show. But I became aware that I was to teach my kids the kind of faith I wasn't raised with: a personal relationship with God, that God is around you and in you.

Q. Does your faith affect the way you do your talk show?

A. Oh, tremendously. I went through a very tough transition. The show has largely been about me and who I am: what I've thought, what I've done. Most hosts don't want to expose themselves like that. I've kept it a secular show, but because my faith is a big part of who I am, it comes up all the time. It's a very delicate balance.

Q. Some have said Steve Kane has become a bit too nice as a Christian, that the show lacks the acid bite it once had. What do you think?

A. There's no question that my experience with Christ has mellowed me a lot. I used to have an explosive anger problem, both in life and on the air. I'm not as nasty or acerbic as I used to be. But I'd like to think I'm more insightful.

Q. How did you become a Christian?

A. I was an atheist until about six years ago. I had a very dominating father. I spent most of my life in therapy. I reached a point where I was really in control, with a perfect family and perfect job and everything I wanted. And I was still lost and empty and anxiety-ridden.

One day, on the way to work, I heard a voice within me, saying he was there for me. I knew it was Christ. I looked for a place to try church. I talked to people and went to Calvary Chapel. As soon as I was there, I connected to it strongly.

Q. What's religion for, in 25 words or less?

A. I'm not a believer in religion. I'm a believer in faith. To me, God is very personal. People are so caught up the concept of religion that they don't think of it as a relation, as thanking the voice inside you.

Q. Favorite part of your work?

A. Getting an articulate and rational liberal caller. Then I can go back and forth with him on the air. But it's a problem getting good liberal callers in this market.

Q. Hardest part?

A. I can tell you the least favorite part: Getting up at 4 in the morning.

Q. What do you do to relax?

A. I'm a big movie buff, and I turned my kids into movie buffs.

Q. Favorite film(s)?

A. The most important film for me was The Passion of the Christ. It overwhelmed me emotionally. For me, reading about Jesus' sacrifice has only so much impact. But seeing it showed how much I meant to him. He went through that for me.

Q. Favorite TV shows?

A. My favorite is 24. It's well-written, the characters are terrific, and the energy never lets up.

Q. What does your faith say about other faiths?

A. The bottom line, although I don't push it, is John 14:6: "I am the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father except through me." I have a sense that my faith requires me to be pushy about it, but I'm not pushy at all. I'm very accepting of other people. Which is strange, because I'm a pushy guy.

Q. Have you ever doubted your faith?

A. No, but I'm new at it. It's only been six years.

Q. Motto, or favorite Scripture verse?

A. Romans 8:28: "All things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose." That is a life verse for me.

Do you know someone we should profile? Tell Religion Editor James D. Davis at 954-356-4730 or jdavis@sun-sentinel.com.

0 comments: